First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd. was founded in 1911 and is the oldest and largest property and casualty insurer domiciled in Hawaii. A member of the Tokio Marine North America (TMNA) group of companies, First Insurance enjoys an “A+” (superior) rating from A.M. Best Co. and has been named one of the nation’s top 50 property and casualty insurance companies by The Ward Group six years in a row. Proud of its broadly experienced, service-oriented staff, First Insurance employs more than 300 insurance professionals and distributes its products through 29 independent general agencies.
Are you looking for a change to keep you engaged, motivated and invigorated while solving business problems using industry leading tools? We are looking for a seasoned Java/Gosu professional to work in Guidewire systems for configuration and/or integration development. In this role, the candidate will be expected to possess advanced development skills in key technologies (articulated below). A candidate for this position must be able to work in a varied, fast paced environment as part of a service delivery function for TMNA Services (TMNAS) and its Group Companies.
- Lead analysis, requirements, design, configuration and technical implementation of Guidewire Suite.
- Participate in requirement gathering and analysis.
- Responsible for architectural design of the functional enhancements.
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of SDLC artifacts.
- Research, evaluate and provide input to potential solutions taking into consideration project constraints, organizational architecture standards, customer business processes and emerging technologies, where applicable.
- Participate in the development of work items, estimates, schedules and plans to meet business needs.
- Provide technical mentorship and guidance to a team of developers.
- Work collaboratively with architects, technical leads, QA teams and subject matter experts of the various upstream and downstream systems in the design and development of solutions to meet business needs.
- Participate in on-going production support and maintenance for implemented Guidewire applications.
- Provide resolution of support and maintenance tickets per established SLAs.
- Provide resolution of support tickets.
- Develop procedures and queries for data analysis and reports.
- Perform special projects and other duties as may be assigned.
- Support offshore and junior developers by providing advice, coaching and technical support on their development tasks.
- Comply with proper internal controls as necessary to conduct job functions and/or carry out responsibilities and/or administrative activities at the company.
- Establish and build strong working relations and partnerships with Business Units and Management.
Degree / Licenses and Professional Certifications
- Bachelor's degree in MIS, IT or Engineering or equivalent experience preferred.
- Guidewire configuration or integration certification is a plus.
- Java developer certifications a plus.
- 5+ years professional development experience in Java (J2EE) or GOSU.
- 5+ years professional development experience in SQL Server.
- Strong hands-on experience in Guidewire configuration/Integration within the Guidewire framework using Gosu and Guidewire Toolset – preferably PolicyCenter.
- Experience Writing and executing GUnit test cases as standalone and/or in CI/CD pipelines.
- Experience using Static Code Analysis tools like Codenarc to manage techdebt.
- Strong hands-on experience in Object Oriented design and programming.
- Professional development experience in developing and consuming web-services.
- Knowledge of activities, tasks, practices, and deliverables associated with eliciting and clearly defining and documenting required business functionality as well as non-functional requirements.
- Knowledge of activities, tasks, practices, deliverables and techniques for implementing new or enhance JEE applications into a production environment.
- Advanced knowledge of Object-Oriented Design and Object-Oriented Programming.
- Advanced knowledge of SOA principles, design patterns, implementation methodologies, and related tools.
- Knowledge of software development lifecycle methodologies for planning and executing application development, enhancement, or support.
- Knowledge of approaches, tools, techniques for recognizing, anticipating, and resolving organizational, operational, or process problems, ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
- Knowledge of scripting languages and tools for creating event-driven, interactive web pages.
- Knowledge of approaches, tools, and techniques for design and development of paper-based and online technical reference documentation, guidelines, standards, procedures, processes, applications, etc.
- Knowledge of Azure DevOps, CI/CD, Atlassian Suite is a plus.
Tokio Marine Group of Companies (including, but not limited to the Philadelphia Insurance Companies, Tokio Marine America, Inc., TMNA Services, LLC, TM Claims Service, Inc. and First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law.
Please note that any offer of employment from First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd. (FICOH) is contingent on candidates attesting to their Covid-19 vaccination status, in accordance with and to the extent permitted by applicable law. FICOH is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates who are unable or unwilling to be vaccinated against Covid-19 due to a sincerely held religious belief, medical reasons, or other legally protected reasons, may request reasonable accommodations which will be considered by FICOH consistent with applicable law.