First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd. was founded in 1911 and is the oldest and largest property and casualty insurer domiciled in Hawaii. A member of the Tokio Marine North America (TMNA) group of companies, First Insurance enjoys an “A+” (superior) rating from A.M. Best Co. and has been named one of the nation’s top 50 property and casualty insurance companies by The Ward Group six years in a row. Proud of its broadly experienced, service-oriented staff, First Insurance employs more than 300 insurance professionals and distributes its products through 29 independent general agencies.
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Provide technical finance and accounting support for ongoing captive insurance clients including annual financial audits, actuarial report and board of director’s reports. Communicate captive performance via financial projections and prior year financial analysis.
- Ensure compliance with ongoing regulatory requirement including annual CAP filings and recurring HID exam responses.
- Provide technical finance and insurance support for new captive setup. Work will include gathering and reviewing information needed for the captive application, completion of the caption application and creating and explaining the financial analysis needed for the feasibility analysis.
- Responsible for developing strong relationships with Japanese staff at client company and Tokio Marine Japan via detailed, consistent communication. Explain key captive processes, information requirements and performance drivers to relevant Japanese staff. Communicate client and Tokio Marine staff issues and expectations to FiRMS Captive staff.
- Develop and present information seminars and develop marketing material for appropriate audiences.
- Recommend to FiRMS management ‘best practices’ revisions to unit SOPs, organization and work processes. As requested, will provide training and knowledge transfer to FiRMS captive management team, including new associate ‘onboarding’ & ongoing training support.
- Occasional travel out of country
Qualifications / Experience:
- 4 years college degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- 3+ years’ experience in a professional position (underwriting, sales, marketing, financial, banking, or business) communicating in formal, business Japanese
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications (i.e. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Proficiency in using data bases created by others and manipulating data through existing software or applications
- Ability to read, write and speak Japanese at a business conversation level or higher
- Knowledge of Japanese regulatory and business environment as it relates to captives and alternative risk management strategies
- Ability to work within a team concept, and to perform at a high level as an independent contributor
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; perform non-repetitive analytical work; process-oriented
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Ability to work independently and willing to assert initiative
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- MBA or J.D. degree preferred
- CPA, CPCU preferred
Tokio Marine Group of Companies (including, but not limited to the Philadelphia Insurance Companies, Tokio Marine America, Inc., TMNA Services, LLC, TM Claims Service, Inc. and First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law.