Are you someone who gets excited about working with a great technology organization that leverages U.S. and global teams, develops solutions for multiple companies, and explores new and innovative solutions? Awesome – we’ve been looking for you! TMNAS will immerse you in a collaborative culture that is business-focused, people-passionate, and dedicated to helping our Tokio Marine Group companies exceed their goals and deliver the excellent customer engagement we’re known for. We are equally as passionate about our employees loving their work. We offer a broad array of training and education opportunities to keep them freshly skilled and growing, and flexibility in choosing a workplace and arrangements that help them thrive. If you want to join us and help us shape the future of insurance technology and operations, apply today!
Senior Big Data Engineer
We are looking for a qualified Senior Big Data Engineer to join our high performing team that delivers and supports services across the U.S. and Mexico to the North American businesses of the Tokio Marine Group. You will lead and/or participate in design, development and support of various data management and data integration activities as well as to rationalize the organizations data assets, processes, applications, systems, and information usage across multiple functional areas. We are looking for a dynamic, tech savvy, self-motivated hands-on professional with great passion in data.
For this position, we expect you to possess advance skills in key technologies (articulated below). We are looking for candidates to be collaborative, communicative, excellent critical thinking skills, ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure, be a quick learner, and display a high degree of initiative in working with business and IT groups in a fast-paced environment.
- Design, engineer, optimize, and evangelize Big Data Solutions, Schema on Read & Spark Data processing across the enterprise.
- Create and enforce Hadoop/Cloudera best practices, development standards, data load and retrieval patterns.
- Assist in installation, configuration and support of Hadoop/Cloudera.
- Perform pre-processing using Hive and Spark.
- Partner with relational and dimensional developers, BI analysts, data scientists, infrastructure, and business stakeholders to drive efficiencies and improvements in information usage.
- Maintain the security, data integrity, and availability of the data lake.
- Execute upon the organization’s Enterprise Information Management strategy.
- Establish and build strong working relationships and partnerships with vendors, management, peers, and industry partners.
- Aid in the overall delivery of full spectrum data, analytics, and reporting services across multiple P&C insurance carriers.
- Support the organization in the delivery of self-service data capabilities including training, collaboration, and partnering with the customer.
- Support data integrations of several internal and complex multi-partner OLTP system implementations.
- Offer input, advice, and guidance on an ad hoc basis in support of developing a data driven culture.
- Perform hands-on development support and team guidance for current Hadoop based implementation
- Create scalable and high-performance services for data exchange and high speed queries for data retrieval
- Comply with proper internal controls as necessary to conduct job functions and/or carry out responsibilities and/or administrative activities at the Company.
- Perform special projects and other duties as may be assigned.
Degree / Licenses and Professional Certifications
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferably in Mathematics, Computer Science) or equivalent experience preferred
- 5+ Years of experience overall working Hadoop, Cloudera & related technologies.
- 10+ experience in object oriented programming like Java, python development.
- 3-5 years hands on experience in Hive and Spark.
- Experience in Big Data development.
- Experience with NoSQL implementation, including stream processing.
- Azure Synapse, Azure Data Factory and Azure cloud experience is a plus
- Git, Azure DevOps and Agile experience is a plus
- Automation experience using CI/CD pipelines and deployments is a plus
- Experience working in insurance industry P&C sector is a plus
- Understanding of cluster maintenance, cluster security, setting up production clusters, Kerberos, tuning and optimization of clusters, implementing back-up and archiving, and debugging is necessary
- Experience with data management, governance, and control within a financial services setting preferably within the P&C insurance industry
- Expertise in high-level programming languages including Scala, PySpark, and Java.
- Expertise in structured and unstructured data architectures, modeling, ETL/ELT, data management, data governance, and related disciplines.
- Advanced SQL language skills.
- Adept in tracing and resolving data integrity issues.
- Audit, Balancing and Controls within a Big Data environment
- Translate complex functional and technical requirements into detailed design.
- Knowledge of Linux and shell languages
- Knowledge of tools and methodologies used for data discovery, data preparation, prediction, and data analysis.
- Knowledge of key features of Cloud Service Providers, Azure is preferred
- Knowledge of each part of the data life cycle from discovery, loading, cleaning, transforming, managing, analyzing, and making such data easily accessible to all members of the company
- Knowledge of designing, developing and implementing databases of multiple types including structured/unstructured, relational, network, hierarchical, and/or others.
- In-depth knowledge of Hive and Spark based technologies, understanding of the specifics and nuances of HDP, CDP, EMR, HD Insight, and DataBricks,
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Strong customer service orientation (responsive, consultative, collaborative and accurate).
- Strong interpersonal relationship building skills; able to work with a variety of people and groups in a constructive and collaborative manner.
- Ability to gain consensus and participate in decision-making activities in a team setting.
- Strong analytical ability with the capability to determine the root cause of data related problems and issues and provide solutions.
- Strategic thinking; understands and applies data management in balance with current needs and long term organizational objectives.
- Ability to juggle multiple, competing, frequently changing time-sensitive deadlines and priorities Act as a self-starter identifying and implementing optimal opportunities to advance the organization’s data needs and culture
- Ability to engage with an established network of data, analytics, and information management experts when pursuing new initiatives.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Strong drive to execute and deliver.
- Ability to work independently and without supervision.
Tokio Marine Group of Companies (including, but not limited to the Philadelphia Insurance Companies, Tokio Marine America, Inc., TMNA Services, LLC, TM Claims Service, Inc. and First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law.