Job ID: 1006951
Date Posted: Jul 15, 2021
Department ID: TM0927 GBU
Company: Tokio Marine Management Inc.
About Tokio Marine:
Tokio Marine has been conducting business in the U.S. market for over a century and we are licensed to write all lines in 50 states, Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia. We provide unique insurance and risk management tools from our experienced staff of account executives, underwriters and loss prevention engineers and fair and timely claim settlement from a skilled team of claim professionals. We work with major brokers and leading independent insurance agents throughout the United States to serve the world's largest and most distinguished organizations.
We are committed to creating value for our customers by providing ANSHIN (safety, security and peace of mind). We strive to be creative and passionate as we work towards our long-term success.
Tokio Marine Holdings is Japan's oldest, and one of the largest property and casualty insurers. Founded in 1879, TMNF operates worldwide in 38 countries. With annual revenues of approximately $18 billion and an A.M. Best rating of A++, one of the highest in the industry, we are one of the top 20 insurance providers worldwide.
Underwrites large casualty accounts; evaluates and develops special coverages, rates and rating plans for clients; assists in reinsurance transactions as required. Assists Manager with key casualty underwriting and departmental workflow related issues as necessary. Responsible to become Subject Matter Expert for GBU unit on a particular Line of Business (ie: Workers Compensation, General Liability, Commercial Auto or Property). Provide training and guidance to Assistant Underwriters on work flow, responsibilities.
Primary Job Duties
1. As subject matter expert on a particular line of business, responsibilities will include guiding underwriters in the department on coverage items that may arise and are within authority granted.
2. Lead all training on the specific line of business and be a technical resource for underwriters to refer issues on the line of business for review and then provide guidance to correctly assess the risk on behalf of the company including coverage recommendations.
3. Independently provide training to new underwriters within the unit in both Commercial Underwriting as well as GBU. In addition provide Underwriting assistant with training so they can be integrated into unit providing vital resource to create efficiencies for GBU underwriting team.
4. Underwrites and prices large risks, consolidated programs, mergers and acquisitions, large deductible, self insured retention programs and other alternative risk mechanisms.
5. Determines the acceptability of risks for underwriting.
6. Binds various coverages subject to authority level and answers inquiries from producers.
7. Prepares quotations and formal proposals on new and renewal business.
8. Places and binds reinsurance as needed.
9. Reviews and approves casualty profiles and referrals as needed. In such cases, ensures that documentation is completed timely and accurately according to Regional and Corporate standards.
10. Assists Manager addressing and resolving overdues, workflow and various clerical issues within the Unit as necessary.
11. Effectively communicates with management on all issues both within and outside the Unit as needed.
12. Interacts and coordinates activities with other departments (e.g. Claims, Loss Control, AXIA, Coordination, Accounting). Liaises with Corporate and other underwriting departments as necessary.
13. Recommends new procedures and programs where warranted.
14. Furnishes intelligence on large account market, including competitor strengths and weaknesses.
15. Responsible for complying with proper internal controls as necessary to conduct job functions and/or carry out responsibilities and/or administrative activities at Company.
1. Ability to work as part of a team and interface daily with team members.
2. Performing other duties as may be assigned.
3. Regular and reliable attendance.
• College degree or equivalent
• At least fifteen (15) years of underwriting experience in casualty insurance underwriting with seven to ten years in large casualty accounts
• CPCU or related designation preferred.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Strong PC skills.
Tokio Marine Management is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, or sexual orientation.