First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd. was founded in 1911 and is the oldest and largest property and casualty insurer domiciled in Hawaii. A member of the Tokio Marine North America (TMNA) group of companies, First Insurance enjoys an “A+” (superior) rating from A.M. Best Co. and has been named one of the nation’s top 50 property and casualty insurance companies by The Ward Group six years in a row. Proud of its broadly experienced, service-oriented staff, First Insurance employs more than 300 insurance professionals and distributes its products through 29 independent general agencies.
*This position is located on the island of Oahu and candidates must work in the state of Hawaii upon hire*
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Work with other Commercial Underwriting (CUW) managers to lead the Commercial Underwriters. Provide leadership and coaching which creates an environment that produces satisfied and contributing associates. Serve as technical expert monitoring results and supporting the adoption of improvements.
- Work with CUW Management to provide recommendations and implement tactics which are aligned with strategic initiatives. Continually improve processes to ensure efficiency and excellent customer service to our customers. Be able to interact collaboratively and work effectively throughout the organization and foster an environment of shared responsibility and accountability.
- Serve as CUW Lead or Subject Matter Expert (SME) for Commercial Lines or other department projects. This includes drafting requests, providing business requirements, researching and analyzing issues, reviewing QA results, develop work processes and products and make recommendations.
- Maintain and ensure compliance of Commercial Underwriting guidelines, standard operating procedures, service level agreements (SLAs) and authority levels. Identify improvement opportunities which align with underwriting best practices. Oversee the file audit process including completion of audits and addressing any issues in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned by Manager.
Manager (all of the above duties including the following):
- Lead other assigned functional unit(s). Direct management of the unit’s Supervisor. Provide guidance, set and communicate clear objectives which align with the Division and Company’s direction.
Qualifications / Experience:
- 4 year College Degree or 4 years’ experience in Commercial Underwriting
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Demonstrates leadership skill including effective written, oral, listening, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organization and critical thinking skills
- 5+ years of multi commercial lines, ISO, and NCCI experience
- 1+ years’ experience in serving as a formal supervisory role with input into hiring and compensation decisions, managing workflow and resource allocation, and conducting performance evaluations
Manager (all the above requirements including the following):
- 7+ years of multi commercial lines, ISO, and NCCI experience
- 4+ years' experience in serving in a managerial role with direct responsibility for the performance of a work unit or department
Tokio Marine Group of Companies (including, but not limited to the Philadelphia Insurance Companies, Tokio Marine America, Inc., TMNA Services, LLC, TM Claims Service, Inc. and First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Ltd.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to remain competitive we must attract, develop, motivate, and retain the most qualified employees regardless of age, color, race, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, family circumstances, life experiences, marital status, military status, sexual orientation and/or any other status protected by law.